Yellow Lab and seizure

Pages

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
SpeedMaker's picture
SpeedMaker
Offline
Joined: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 12:00am
Yellow Lab and seizure

Last night I was sleeping and heard a bang in our room.  I woke up and found my lab stumbling around.  When I called her, she came over and threw up and continued to be unbalanced in her back end.  We took her out in the living room and she preceded to be somewhat tense and salivating a lot and her back end continued to be not functioning real well.  It lasted 2-3 minutes and then she was alright.  I am assuming that she had a seizure.  She turned 5 in February, but is a healthy dog otherwise.  This is the 1st time I have seen this happen to her and hope I never have to see it again.  Anyone else have this happen at all ever?  Is this something I should take her in for to have checked, etc.  Any info anyone has on this or anyone who has experienced this, I would love to hear what you did.

SKHman13's picture
SKHman13
Offline
Joined: Thursday, December 8, 2005 - 10:04am

My sisters dog used to have them quite often. She took him in and the vet gave her a med that they had to give the dog twice a day. In their case they took him in cause he had more than one, not sure what it was though.

eyexer's picture
eyexer
Offline
Joined: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 4:42pm

there are meds that they give for seizures but hang on to your wallet.

 

Alphamax21's picture
Alphamax21
Offline
Joined: Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 8:44pm

My chocolate lab is on phenobarbital tiwce a day for the rest of his life.  Started Two years ago when he turned 4.  Sounds like the same type of seizures your describing. Not real expensive either, 100 pills for 10 dollars or something like that.

SpeedMaker's picture
SpeedMaker
Offline
Joined: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 12:00am

would something like this possibly happen from heat stroke?  We were outside at night by a bonfire and I was throwing her ball for about an hour.  She came in and ate and drank a bunch of water.  about 45 minutes later is when this all took place?

"Skokie"

duffermartin's picture
duffermartin
Offline
Joined: Friday, June 5, 2009 - 1:22pm

A couple of years ago this happened to a buddy of mine's dog and they took him in and found out that he had a form of diabetes i believe.  The way you described everything is what we saw also.  He had a black lab and was probably around that 3-4 years of age.

campcook
Offline
Joined: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 - 12:00am

My pointer/setter drop dog was hypoglycemic.  I needed to carry honey and biscuits to give her an energy shock throughout the day when temps were warm.  Having a dog convulse in the field is an unforgettable, helpless experience.  I was able to circumvent the possibilities with a good breakfast, plenty of water and honey. 

greyrider's picture
greyrider
Offline
Joined: Friday, December 6, 2002 - 12:00am

We had a golden lab that did that a couple of times.
This was quite a few years ago so I don't remember
what the med was that the Vet gave us, but it did seem
to control the seizures.  It's my understanding this is
common for labs.  Our dog did live to be 14, so it must
not have been to bad.

566thMedCo/54thMedevacDet(Dust-Off)
"The louder you scream, the faster we come"

 
 

 

jdjacobson's picture
jdjacobson
Offline
Joined: Friday, October 10, 2003 - 12:00am

I have a 7 yr old black lab that has had seizures like you desrcibed for the last 3-4 yrs.  Scared the heck out of us the first time it happened one night just like your dog. Vet put her on the phenobarbital but we took her off it after a while because it made her drink so much and pee all over the place.  Vet warned us that could happen.  She's not on anything and still has seizures every so often (month to 6 months apart) but the vet said we shouldn't worry unless she starts having multiple one in a short time or if she starts having ones that last more than 5 minutes.

The Angry Minnow's picture
The Angry Minnow
Offline
Joined: Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 2:50pm

ive seen this before and i would recommend taking her into the vet and tell them what occured.If it was a seizure the pills are not real expensive and will help her.None the  less id take her in.


fullrut's picture
fullrut
Offline
Joined: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 9:42am

I have a chocolate lab that this would happen to2 or 3 times a year. Vet put her on a special diet and no problems so far. The "special" food isn't cheap though. They way my wife explained it, it has something to do with kidney function. Plus the dog is 10 years old.

Education will tell you a tomato is a fruit, while wisdom will tell you not to put it in a fruit salad.

Pages