The state Game and Fish Department will continue its Hunter-Harvested Surveillance program during the 2017 deer hunting season, by sampling deer for chronic wasting disease and bovine tuberculosis from 10 units in North Dakota. In addition, all moose and elk harvested in the state are eligible for testing.
Samples from hunter-harvested deer taken in the central portion of the state will be tested from units 2H, 2I, 2J1, 2J2, 2K1, 2K2, 3A4, 3B3 and 3C. In addition, deer will be tested from unit 3F2 in the southwest.
Every head sampled must have either the deer tag attached, or a new tag can be filled out with the license number, deer hunting unit and date harvested.
Hunters are encouraged to drop off deer heads at the following locations:
· Ashley – Ashley Super Valu Store
· Bismarck – Game and Fish Department headquarters, Call of the Wild Taxidermy, 3Be Meats, West Dakota Meats
· Bottineau – Mattern Family Meats
· Carrington – Barton Meats
· Devils Lake – Devils Lake Game and Fish district office
· Dickinson – Dickinson Game and Fish district office
· Ellendale – Oxenrider Motel
· Granville – S&E Meats
· Harvey – Lonetree Game and Fish district office
· Heaton – Miller Game Processing
· Jamestown – Jamestown Game and Fish district office
· LaMoure – LaMoure Lockers
· Linton – Bosch’s Meat Market, Scherr’s Meats
· Mandan – Butcher Block Meats, Nevada’s Wildlife Designs
· McClusky – Bentz Supply Store
· Minot – Johnson Taxidermy
· Moffit – Long Lake National Wildlife Refuge office
· Parshall – Myers Meats and Specialties
· Riverdale – Riverdale Game and Fish district office
· Rolette – Meat Shack
· Rugby – Cenex C Store
· Sheyenne – Brenno Meats, Wild Things Taxidermy
· Streeter – Reister Meats and Catering
· Turtle Lake – Main Street Market
· Upham – J. Clark Salyer NWR office
· Washburn – Enerbase
· Wilton – Cenex
· Wing – Terry’s Sales and Service
· Woodworth – Chase Lake NWR office.
Drop off locations for deer taken from unit 3F2:
· Carson – Hertz Hardware
· Elgin – Gunny’s Bait and Tackle, Melvin’s Taxidermy
· Glen Ullin – Kuntz’s Butcher Shop
· Hettinger – Dakota Packing
· New Leipzig – Hertz Hardware
Moose and elk heads should be taken to a Game and Fish office.
CWD affects the nervous system of members of the deer family and is always fatal. Scientists have found no evidence that CWD can be transmitted naturally to humans or livestock.